The Shure SM81’s uniform cardioid pickup pattern achieves maximum gain before feedback onstage, while offering excellent off-axis rejection in a myriad of applications. Besides being an industry-standard microphone for acoustic guitar, this small-diaphragm condenser’s ruler-flat frequency response offers natural-sounding reproduction of other acoustic instruments, such as mandolin, violin, and banjo. It also performs admirably as drum overheads. What’s more, it exhibits impressive SPL handling, enabling it to effortlessly tackle loud sources. A 3-position highpass filter switch and lockable -10dB pad round out the SM81’s robust features. Boasting durable vinyl-coated steel construction, the SM81 includes a swivel adapter, foam windscreen, and carrying pouch.
Superior build quality ensures top-shelf sound
The Shure SM81 offers top-shelf performance in an endless array of applications and environments. Its uniform cardioid pickup pattern offers exceptional isolation with minimum off-axis coloration, while its ultra-smooth response curve ensures accurate sonic reproduction of anything you put in front of it. It exhibits low noise and high output, along with a negligible level of distortion over a wide range of load impedances. Low RF susceptibility mitigates radio interference. What’s more, the SM81 features super-rugged vinyl-coated steel construction and is field-usable in an infinite range of temperature and humidity conditions.
An industry standard with pro-level features
The SM81 is teeming with pro-level features. A 3-position switch allows you to adjust the low-frequency response of the microphone (flat, 6dB, or 18dB/octave roll-off), which is ideal for minimizing wind noise, room noise, and proximity effect. A lockable -10dB pad enables you to use the SM81 to capture extra-loud sources without altering the mic’s frequency response. At ProCore Productions, we consider the SM81 a must-have for any well-stocked studio’s mic locker — it’s a true industry standard!
Shure SM81 Small-diaphragm Condenser Microphone Features:
- Small-diaphragm condenser microphone with ruler-flat frequency response
- Industry-standard acoustic guitar mic — just point it at the 12th fret for instant album-ready sound
- Also excels on other acoustic instruments and as drum overheads
- Uniform cardioid pickup pattern offers exceptional isolation with minimum off-axis coloration
- Ultra-smooth response curve ensures accurate sonic reproduction
- Exhibits low noise and high output, plus a negligible level of distortion over a wide range of load impedances
- Low RF susceptibility mitigates radio interference
- 3-position low-frequency response switch (flat, 6dB, or 18dB/octave roll-off) minimizes noise and proximity effect
- Lockable -10dB pad for capturing extra-loud sources without altering your frequency response
- Durable vinyl-coated steel construction
- Field-usable in an infinite range of temperature and humidity conditions
- Includes a swivel adapter, foam windscreen, and carrying pouch